Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Family VS Future

I may not be able to articulate my feelings well. I have been anguished over the problems and issues surrounding adoption, and as blessed as I am to have my son forever mine, I worry and wonder over the MANY thousands of children that do not have a family.

Re wording that, they HAVE a family, but for many reasons they are not being cared for BY this family. (I learned from My Turn on Earth, everyone has a mother and a father....but they are not always part of that child's life forever)

So how do we solve this problem?
Adoption and the industry has created HUGE problems, and the victims are the families.

The general though process is, that their children are better off being adopted into American (or European) families where they have educational opportunities as well as basic health and sanitation needs met.

So why is this a solution? Why do we as a NATION not find a better solution to the astronomical problem?

legitimately there are MILLIONS of children without parents (orphans) Children who have never met a blood relative and have no hope of finding any relatives.
THESE kids, SHOULD be available for adoptions.(possibly)

HOWEVER there are many many cases of mothers & fathers (who are not married but are in a committed relationship) that WILLINGLY give up their children. (possibly with the hope that the child will return to care for them when they are grown?) Siblings that are separated because one was 'lucky' enough to be adopted, How can we reconcile with our selves the broken homes, and the money exchange for these lives.... And yet, how can we NOT.

I have held a starving child. I have met the starving mother, and I have seen the resources they have to work with. They see us Westerners and see a "golden ticket" we swoop in with our plump cheeks, and resources to 'rescue' these families, what our family spends each year on ENTERTAINMENT they could only DREAM of for an annual budget for food.
>
What we spend on vacations could save a family unit.

What we spend on date night, can feed a family for a month.

What we see as 'needs' (new shoes, the latest styles in clothing, books, electronics, cable TV, cell phones) could provide for a VILLAGE the basic life saving supplies.

I realize I am rambling, but I am at a point where I wonder...do Ih ave it in me? am *I* the rich man who has been asked to give up all his worldly possessions and follow Christ? By American Standards I am middle class.

by Liberian Standards I am Rich (though, not wealthy)

What do I have in me?

What am I willing to CONTINUE to give, in order for another human being 5,7650 miles away to have?

Am I willing to give up my passion for antiques, decorating, vacationing, driving a nice vehicle, wearing new and fashionable clothing?

Am I willing to live a simple lifestyle so that my 'family' in Liberia can afford 3 meals each day, and an education, or opportunities to provide for themselves?

DO *I* have it in me?

I honestly do not know. I feel like today I could take a break, and walk away from the mental anguish that surrounds the PROFOUND need in Liberia, and go 'back to normal' as everyone on this continent has suggested.

But honestly, what IS normal? and am I (or have I EVER) been capable of p doing "NORMAL" ?

1 comment:

  1. I feel your excruciating anguish and I have never been to Liberia to see these issues first hand. I have been feeling overwhelmed by the same question, wondering how I can help when there are so many different aspects to so many different issues. I believe that you are doing more than so many others, just by advocating for and adopting your wubbly son, by bringing awareness to the issue of the millions of orphans who still need forever families. Take a breather and focus on what you have already done. Then, before you know it, He will send you more inspiration on what He wants you to do next. And remember that as you advocate and educate others, there will be less resting on your own shoulders. We can all work together to carry this great burden and to feel the blessings of reaching out to and loving our brothers and sisters around the world.....one tender heart at a time. Love you, Dee.

    ReplyDelete