Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Jan 8th 2013

Jan 8th 2013

last night was a rough one. First it was VERY hard to settle down and get to sleep. I was missing my babies SOMETHING FIERCE, I could not stop crying, and of course could not fall asleep.

Peter fell asleep perfectly, and I chatted with Madi & Wesley for way too late into the night.

I finally fell asleep around 3:30 a.m. around 6 a.m. Peter awoke, and was wandering around.

Needless to say, the morning sun was an unwelcome sight....

When I finally emerged from my room the guest house staff said I had slept through 2 visitors.

Of course I was disappointed, and I woke Peter up to feed him breakfast.

After breakfast I tidied our room, and exited the room in order to empty the trash, there was a gentleman sitting in the veranda.

He waved to me, and said that he had been waiting to meet with me.

Of course this was the first meeting as I had no idea who I was meeting with!

Moses & Amos (?) began the process for us to begin this process.

The first thing they did was call Yassa, Peter's bio mom. I was very anxious for this meeting, and i ran back into the room for the photo book I made for her.

She entered the courtyard, she is a petite, young, and sweet woman. When she saw Peter, of course she and I both started crying.

She touched him, and tried to hug him, he was not rude, but he was very timid towards her affection, and came closer to me. I knelt down and signed to him that THIS was HIS Momma. He nodded and then waved to her.

Over the past 3 years Peter has had many Momma's and I am sure he is afraid of being left behind.

We sat down and I gave Yassa the photobook.

The agency representative began explaining to her the process, and getting her consent and opinion on her feelings towards this adoption.

She explained to me how she went to more than one 'child home' before she made her selection, and she felt like they were his best chance at survival and life.

She told me a little bit about Peter's father, and how he referred to him as 'a snake' and that it was NOT his child.

She commented about how GOOD he looked, and how happy she is that he is doing so well.
She asked me point blank if I would promise to keep in contact with her. She has been very sad that she was unable to keep in contact and she did not get the photos of Peter as she was promised.

I told her I would do everything in my power to keep her connected to her son, that I felt like She was a very important part of HIM, and I would keep her informed on him and his growing.

We all visited for over an hour, when Yassa had to return to work, and the agency workers left with a time to meet the next day to meet with the Ministry of Health.

As all of us were visiting, my Liberian friend entered the courtyard QUITA! She is an amazing woman who has offered SO many favors to help me.

She offered to take me to get a cell phone and help me situate all my immediate issues.
the biggest which is my missing luggage, Quita scooped us up, and had her private driver take us to her home outside the city where she fed us dinner, and outfitted me with the most stunning African attire. I am so humbled that she has been so willing to help, she lives in a beautiful adobe building in what is called locally the "Coca Cola factory village" this is because it is situated just outside the Coca Cola factory.

red dirt streets, chickens, dogs and babies running every which way....and the typical African lifestyle.

It was such a privilege to view all the details of her home.

I have photos I will share.

Quita then took us onto her porch, where her helpers fed us a big bowl of rice, with potato greens on top. It was bit spicy, but there was a big surprise at the bottom of the bowl!
CHICKEN FEET! I can honestly say I lost a bit of my appetite! ;)

After we ate our fill, Quita asked me to follow her to her neighbors' home, where they have a sweet little boy who used to run around being clever and quick, until about a year ago.
Our Adventure 2013 Slideshow: Liberia’s trip to Monrovia was created with TripAdvisor TripWow!
One day this young boy (6 years old) came home from school and simply collapsed, he began having nose bleeds, and was unable to stay stable on his feet.
His condition has deteriorated, and now a year later he struggles to talk, and can not walk at all.
This young man still has his wits about him, he can speak (quietly) and can respond and answer questions.
And yet, slowly, surely he is dying. His head is enlarged, and he struggles to hold it upright. But that does not dim his smile, nor impede his attempt to entertain, he sang me a song about God's love, and he beamed brightly for our pictures together.

I am not sure of his written name, something like Assura Johnson.
But this is where I ask you EACH OF YOU, to say a prayer for this little guy, and ask our God above to find a sponsor for this boy, someone willing to pay the expenses for him to get medical care in the modern world. Life here in Liberia will not be kind to him.

So please take a minute, look at his smile, and know this, there is a VERY good chance that given a brain shunt, and moderate medical intervention, he may lead a NORMAL life, he may run again, he may talk, sing and play like all the little boys at 7 years old!

1 comment:

  1. What a heartwrenching story of a true mother. My heart goes out to Yassa. So grateful for a knowledge of the plan of Salvation. We will all be with our families forever. Dee you sure are collecting family from all over!
    Joseph Smith said once that the purpose of this life was to surround ourselves with family and friends and we could all go to the Celestial kingdom together. Adoption will save more than just the one child you bring home with you!

    ReplyDelete